Had a taste for something sweet and didn’t want to spend a lot of time pulling it together. While looking at my options I remembered the apples I’d recently bought. So I decided to whip up a quick Apple Crisp that happened to be both dairy and gluten free.
“NEW” Fashioned Apple Crisp
5 pounds Granny Smith or McIntosh apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup Sugar in the Raw
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups Gluten Free (or Regular) Flour – Can be Rice, Soy, a Gluten Free baking mix or any number of other Gluten Free Flours
3/4 cup granulated raw sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed (light or dark)
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 cup Rolled or Steel Cut Oats (not instant)
1/2 pound cold Coconut Oil (or unsalted butter) dice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Apply oil to the inner surface of a 9 by 14 baking dish.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedge – NOTE: Sprinkling apple slices with lemon juice after cutting will prevent them from turning brown while cutting the remaining apples.
- Combine the apples with the lemon juice, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
- TOPPING: Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold Coconut Oil in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or use a pastry blender or fork.
- Mix on low speed or by hand until the mixture is crumbly and the Coconut Oil is the size of peas.
- Sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Place the crisp in the center of the oven and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.
Visual display of steps to prepare Apple Crisp
[img src=http://www.projectschick.com/wp-content/flagallery/apple-crisp/thumbs/thumbs_img_3619_0.jpg]230Peeled Apple
[img src=http://www.projectschick.com/wp-content/flagallery/apple-crisp/thumbs/thumbs_img_3618_0.jpg]110Sliced and Cored
[img src=http://www.projectschick.com/wp-content/flagallery/apple-crisp/thumbs/thumbs_img_0138_0.jpg]70Prepared Pan
[img src=http://www.projectschick.com/wp-content/flagallery/apple-crisp/thumbs/thumbs_img_3621_0.jpg]60Prepared Apples
[img src=http://www.projectschick.com/wp-content/flagallery/apple-crisp/thumbs/thumbs_img_3623_0.jpg]50Topping Sprinkled on Apples
[img src=http://www.projectschick.com/wp-content/flagallery/apple-crisp/thumbs/thumbs_img_3625_0.jpg]50Baked Apple Crisp
Serving Suggest: Vanilla Ice Cream with Warm Apple Crisp is a great combination